So last week at lunch I discovered I have a talent – a knack for manufacturing. I remember seeing this Jil Sander bag all over the Internet when it made its first appearance. People were enthrawled. For $290, this could be yours! I am usually one for the new, interesting, and even ironic in fashion, but even this was a little comedic to me. So while waiting for my coworker to finish her soup, I decided to DIY myself a little Jil Sander. I think it was pretty clever – I mean, I laughed. A fashion parady by Molly. I thought myself to be pretty amusing – smile and nod. If you are interested, hit me up. I will give it to you at half the Jil Sander selling price. Call it a deal, you will be the coolest kid in town. You’re welcome.
So Thanksgiving is over. Meaning my roommate chose yesterday morning to begin the month of constant Christmas music instead of her usual Nelly Pandora Radio while we get ready for work. I really only like the oldies – meaning Rat Pack Christmas exclusively. I will however accept Michael Buble. I may also allow a little N*Sync Holiday Album or that one Mariah song, but only when drinking.
Having said this and expressing my love for the classics, It has come to my attention that one of my favorite winter hits may or may not be a sexual molestation song. JUST SAYING. At work the other day my co worker and I started singing a muttled version of ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ that caught the attention of (annoyed the shit out of) people in the kitchen. Some brave soul approached us at our desks and asked us to stop. She then said, ‘You do know that song is like, for lack of a better term, a rape song.’ She left and then, BOOM, song was forever ruined.
It is true. It is horrible. We laughed for like twenty minutes about how awful it is, but she is right. Listen to the lyrics! A song like that would never be written in today’s world. Also, where were my/yours/America’s parents when this song came on the radio? Why didn’t someone say, ‘Hey, if you want to go home, JUST SAY NO’ or ‘If someone tries to force another drink down you, SAY NO’ or ‘When someone uses the lame excuse of bad weather for why you can’t leave his house, GET OUT.’ I mean, really? (With Seth Meyers). Really?
Sorry to ruin the holidays. Just call me Scrooge, but I am right on this, I know. I will say I still like it. And I am 100% positive it is the best song to sing a duet to in the halls of your sorority when getting ready for anything in the winter, especially a tacky sweater party that you and your best friend are going to be ‘creepy uncles’ for. It is the bomb! Here are two of my favorite renditions of the tune to cheer you up. They’re comedic so it’s totally PC.
So back in 2010 I spent a little time studying and working across the pond in London. One of the things my flatmates and I made sure to do was see Les Miserables. Kid you not, it was the best show I have ever seen. I cried. Like REALLY cried. And I never cry at plays. How it is so good is beyond me. Here is our tourist picture outside of the theatre. Please do not judge me, I swear Harem pants were in then. I am also pretty sure the ombre fringe infinity scarf was cool too.
Lucky us, it was also during Nick Jonas’ short stint as Marius. Perk of a lifetime for my friend Caroyln. When the lights went down they announced his name and girls throughout the theatre started screaming. The confused Swedish girls behind us leaned down and asked what the commotion was about, Caroyln explained: “Jonas! Like our Backstreet Boys!” I rolled my eyes, but it really is a great comparison for Euro tourists. Carolyn also made us wait outside afterwords to see her beloved baby Jonas who, at the time was most likely not even legal. She still swears to this day they had a moment. I was much more concerned about being tackled by the screaming crowd of 13 year old British children. We did see him.
MY POINT of this post, however, is to make sure you knew that this shit is going to be A MOVIE. With everyone I love in it. Basically. It has my girl crush, Anne Hathaway. My real crush, Mr. Burberry himself, Eddie Redmayne. And everyone’s crush, Hugh Jackman. I mean, what else needs to be said? But seriously, if that cast isn’t enough for you, here is the trailer. It gives me chills. I am a loser.
It comes out on Christmas day and you better believe my butt will be in that movie theatre as soon as I get back to the U.S. after the holiday.
Also, if you ever need another example of why I love Anne OR why I love SNL. Here is everything I love in less than 4 minutes.
Fact: I am not going to ever apologize for my love of celebrities. I don’t always go nutballs about them, I just find them fascinating, and like to casually stare and observe. On average, I probably see one a month, and I usually don’t go too crazy, but HOLY HEY GIRL I MADE EYE CONTACT THREE TIMES WITH RYAN GOSLING yesterday at the bagel shop. I am jealous of myself. My roommate says she can die now, because she has nothing left to accomplish.
Here is how it went down:
1. In attempts to soak up the everclear punch (who knew you could even buy that devil juice in the city?) from a housewarming the night before, my roommate, a visiting friend, and myself decided to go to the bagel place around the corner from our apartment. I was wearing a blanket as a makeshift scarf, a men’s beanie, and a $7 sweater from high school. It should also be noted that I made no attempts to even bother with sunglasses to cover my face – the children were at risk.
2. We ordered and sat down. Satisfied 3/4 into the way of finishing my large coffee I look up to see a man crossing the street out of the storefront window. To myself in my head, I said, ‘That is a really really attractive man!’ He is walking towards the shop and I say out loud, ‘That guy looks just like Ryan Gosling.’ He opens the door into the joint and I mouth, ‘Holy shit it IS Ryan Gosling.’
3. Silent, however extremely obvious, freak out by all 8 patrons in the store. My roommate and I begin nervous laughing like someone stole the keys and let us out of our cages in the looney bin. Simultaneously, everyone rips their phones out and begins texting everyone they know who has a pulse about the sexpot in line ordering his carboload.
4. I get up to throw away our bagel remnants and try not to look but nature intervened and I glance over. He turns to look me in the eye. Who knows what I looked like, I am notorious for having little to no control over my facial expressions. I tried to play it cool. I look back up, BOOM, eyeballs again. Third time, happens once more, I may lose it, and sit back down.
5. Cardiac arrest.
6. It’s cash only and guess what, Ryan doesn’t have any. He goes to get some from the ATM in the corner. More texting by the masses. He comes back, grabs his order, and pulls the hood of his jacket over his face. Opens the door and on his way he went.
7. Kid at the table next to us screams, ‘BYE RYAN!’ and everyone laughs.
8. We cried.
And that is how it went. The best part about this is that to him, it was just a morning coffee/bagel run – this shit happens to him on the reg. It was nothing to the man, but to me, my roommate, my friend, the non-english speaking sandwich maker, the now-kicking-herself-girl wearing the flannel pijama pants and slippers, the dude who yelled BYE, and that Italian guy eating two pieces of pizza at the bagel place at 11 am will always remember it.
Hey girl, you know you wish you were me Sunday morning. Parting gifts for you:
I know Hadley just did a post on a movie, but this can not be ignored. We went on a work field trip yesterday to the Angelika on Houston and saw Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel. HOLY INSPIRATION! I can not even explain. Please see trailer below:
I have always known about the woman, but to get a closer look into her mind, her philosophies, the things she has created and contributed to this world – it is beyond. She changed the fashion world in to what we see view it all today – not a catalog of apparel choices but an art form, a way of personal expression, and something that separates the human race from all others.
She is hilarious, smart, straightforward, sassy, and I love her. It is people like Diana that keep our world moving forward and keep our world interesting. Something worth living. She saw the beauty in the world and simply refused to see anything else. We all can take a little dose of that in a world of such negativity.